- 1973 – The Ministry of Technology, Research and Local Government.
- 1976 – In 1976, in line with its new functions and responsibilities related to environmental issues, the Ministry’s name was changed to the Ministry of Science, Technology and Environment (MOSTE).
- 2004 – The Cabinet on March 27, 2004 has agreed to the restructuring of MOSTE and the Ministry’s name was changed to Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation (MOSTI) in order to spearhead the development of National ICT, Multimedia and Innovation.
- 2007 – In 2007, the functions of Science and Technology were broken up according to the clusters of Biotechnology, ICT, Industrial, Sea to Space and Core Cluster of Science & Technology.
- 2016 – On October 3, 2016, MOSTI has been restructured to give more focus on promoting R&D and commercialization programs.
- 2018 – After the general election to 14 (PRU-14), the entire component of the Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation (MOSTI), Green Technology and Energy Components from the Ministry of Energy, Green Technology and Water (KeTTHA) and related components of Climate Change and Environment from the Ministry of Natural resources and Environment (NRE) has been restructured and formed the Ministry of Energy, Science, Technology, Environment & Climate Change (MESTECC).
Energy sustainability, wealth creation through science and technology and environmental sustainability
- MESTECC as a premier workplace and inculcate the values of Excellence, Integrity and Future Focused
- Manage energy resources strategically to optimize renewable energy and energy efficiency services as well as to ensure continuous supply of electricity that is affordable and sustainable
- Explore, develop and capitalize science and technology based on the country’s economic interests through R&D&I strategic collaboration with the industry as a measure to increase commercialization of technology and labor productivity
- Preserve the environment through education, awareness and enforcement towards pollution-free environment as well as leading climate change adaptation and mitigation measures to ensure country’s resilience and create new growth opportunities
- Green and Efficient Energy Sector
- To increase the percentage from 2% to 20% of renewable energy for electricity generation
- To improve the national energy efficiency
- To improve the efficiency and transparency of the energy market to ensure the best tariffs for energy consumers
- Environmental Pollution-free and Resistance to Climate Change
- Leading the country towards a free non-biodegradable plastic
- To reduce pollution through education and enforcement
- To prepare country to address climate change through adaptation and mitigation
- Wealth Creation Through Science and Technology
- Demand-driven R&D through close collaboration with the industry
- To increase technology commercialization into marketplace
- To increase industrial productivity through science & technology applications
Types of Services Provided By MESTECC
- Weather forecast report
- Radioactive Materials Licensing
- Managing and Coordinating R, D & C funds
- DNA test
- Space Science Education
- Consultancy on Radiation Protection
- Observation of the Earth’s surface
- Non-formal STI education
- Electric and gas licence
- Net Energy Metering Scheme (NEM)
- Feed-in Tariff (FiT) Application
- Energy Audit Conditional Grant for Commercial Buildings
- Sustainable Low Carbon Building Assessment
- Carbon and Water Pollution Control
- Hazardous Waste / Material Management